Monday, March 19, 2007

Eggs-periment Benedict

I love, love, love, LOVE eggs. I stopped being able to eat them for still not fully explained reasons for approximately three years, and since falling back into harmony, they have been a ubiquitous force in my kitchen (that quiche I posted earlier this month was the second I made in, oh, three weeks). But even more than I love eggs, I adore eggs benedict.

I find them a bit heavy, though--totally worth it, mind you, but heavy. So in these, we actually had two experiments going simultaneously (which would make any scientist squeal, I'm sure...something about controls versus variables...whatever). The first was taking the egg whites leftover from making Hollandaise sauce that would normally be discarded, and using them as the egg component instead of two full poached eggs. The second, completely incidental experiment, using southern-style biscuits instead of English muffins.

The egg whites I pronounce a success. I kind of missed the yolk, but the eggs--which I scrambled--were fluffy and delicious. Because of the sauce on top, I didn't feel the need to add any milk or cheese to the eggs themselves, and it proved unnecessary anyway.

In terms of the biscuits, I think it really comes down to mood and preference. They were quite good--thick, filling, and combining well with the sauce. The muffins have that toasty crunch, though, that these don't have. Also, the muffins are lighter. So, in sum: yummy either way.

A final note: once again, I used SmartBalance instead of butter for the sauce (blasphemy, I know), and it was still a big hit. I think I noticed a bit of difference, but had I handed it to someone who had no idea which I had put in, I doubt they would have picked up on it. Little ways to cut unnecessary fat make me happy...especially when I'm using biscuits. Man,those things are rich.

Hollandaise Sauce
3 egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup buttery spread or equivalent
Salt and pepper to taste

Also: buttermilk biscuit

Recipe from: The Cook's Kitchen Handbook

Directions

Separate eggs, yolks into saucepan and whites into bowl.

Whisk yolks together, then add remaining sauce ingredients. Turn burner to med-low heat, and whisk often as sauce cooks.

Cut biscuit in half, toast lightly.

Put egg whites in greased or non-stick pan, scramble while continuing to whisk sauce frequently. When finished, put eggs over biscuits, and sauce over eggs. Serve.

No comments: