Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Experiment in Tang

Last night I felt inspired to make broccoli a little more interesting. So I made it tangy--with lime juice. Lime veggie recipes exist in various forms across the internet; I tried to make mine as simple as possible, to get a sense of whether I liked it as a concept before getting all fancy.

It was good. I think it might work better with a slightly more potent vegetable--Brussels sprouts, asparagus, etc--to balance out the lime. Also, lime juice is a potent thing, so I would recommend mixing in a fair dolop of Smart Balance (my choice) or regular olive oil to balance it as well. But overall, an interesting, fun side dish.

Ingredients
2 heads broccoli
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp buttery spread (or something similar)
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp mint
4 cloves garlic

Heat olive oil and garlic in saute pan for 2 minutes. Mix in buttery spread, and allow to melt.

Mix in broccoli, herbs, and lime juice, and allow to simmer for another 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve.

No comments: