Wednesday, March 21, 2007

It's all Greek to me

Vegetables a la Grecque, from the February issue of Food and Wine. Ironically, it's a French recipe, as you could probably tell from the language of the name, as well as the copious amounts of olive oil involved in the original chef's design. Below is my edited recipe (beware: the online version apparently doesn't have amounts for each ingredient, but I put mine down below).

The original recipe used 1/2 cup olive oil, and then coated the veggies again in it after they cooked. I did away entirely with the last step (they're plenty oily for me with out it), and cut the first in half. There's so much else going on, I really didn't think it necessary. I also used balsamic vinegar, and because the flavor is so strong, cut the amount in half. I really think it could have taken the full 1/4 cup, but the dish I made was quite yummy regardless; that call comes down to a matter of preference, I think. Big, strong balsamic versus a more subtle flavor.

I really wanted to use asparagus in this--I think it would go amazingly well--but decided against it for this time around. Still, I wanted to put the suggestion out there.

Finally, on a convenience note, this dish is actually meant to be served cold, and requires very little fussing once it's actually cooking. In this light, it's a wonderful stress-free side dish. Or, for more everyday uses, since it keeps so long you could easily make a large batch and nibble at it throughout the week. Enjoy!

Vegetables à la Grecque

ACTIVE TIME: 25 MIN
TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
SERVES: 8

1/4 cup olive oil (original calls for 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp)
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar (original: 1/4 cup wine vinegar)
1/2 cup white wine
1 tsp coriander seeds
3 bay leaves
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp peppercorns
Salt and pepper

1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced
2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
1 cup sweet peppers, chopped
directions
  1. In a large, deep skillet, combine 1/4 cup of the oil with the wine, water, vinegar, coriander seeds, bay leaves, peppercorns, fennel, thyme and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the carrots. Cover and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and mushrooms, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the onions are crisp-tender, 3 minutes.
  2. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaves and peppercorns before serving.

MAKE AHEAD The vegetables can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.

1 comment:

JHenry said...

My baby so talented!