Monday, March 12, 2007

Maple-Mustard Asparagus


This particular dish had me skeptical before I actually made it. The idea of combining maple syrup and Dijon mustard seemed confusing, but the idea came from a Betty Crocker recipe, so I figured, how crazy can it really be?

It was completely wonderful. To quote my guinea pig, "the spaghetti was good, but the asparagus was amazing." So go figure. If you're having trouble eating vegetables, or getting someone else to, this is definitely a recipe to try.

This has been quite a week for new flavor combinations. I'm pretty excited.

In cooking the aparagus spears, I only put the bottom half of the spears actually in the water; the rest stood above. I had read about this technique a few other places, and they were completely right: the thinner tops cook to a nice crispness, and the much thicker bottoms get cooked through as well.

A connisseuse of both, I would recommend real, honest-to-goodness maple syrup for this recipe.

Ingredients
1 bunch asparagus
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup

Directions
Cook the aparagus standing in boiling water, halfway up the spears, for 7 minutes.

Drain, coat the aparagus in mustard and syrup. Serve.

No comments: