Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Tomato-Basil-Mushroom Quiche


I apologize for the picture looking funny--I couldn't wait for the quiche to set before grabbing a piece; it's that good.

This recipe was modified from one I found on allrecipes.com for a tomato-basil quiche. Instead, since I am no fan of baked tomato slices, I substituted chopped mushrooms for the tomatoes and added a thin layer of tomato sauce on top of them.

One great thing about this particular recipe is that it's so easy to make really healthy. I used skim milk, and 2% milk cheese, and because there is so much else going on, the flavors are still really strong and it tastes great.

I also used a bit more cheese than the recipe calls for, but when ever did a dish have just too much cheese?

The last comment I'll make about this quiche is though my particular incarnation above is not gorgeous, it is a DELICIOUS entity and makes for fantastic bringing to work food. It's portable, reheats like a dream, and really filling.

So yes--the recipe as I did it is listed below, with the original behind the link.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 8 mushrooms, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons dried basil
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Onion powder to taste
  • 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided (I used low fat, you don't have to)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake pie shell in preheated oven for 8 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle mushrooms with flour, onion powder, and basil, then saute 2 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Spread 1 cup shredded cheese in the bottom of pie crust. Layer mushrooms over cheese, and top with tomato sauce and more basil. Cover with egg mixture. sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese, and even more basil.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until filling is puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.

No comments: