Friday, April 6, 2007

Asian Stuffed Nut-rooms


I realize this week has been something of Mushrooms on Parade, what with the Pesto Mushrooms (that were really just a forum to try out my homemade pesto), and serving as the main event in Mushroom Soup. I realize this. We are moving on, I promise.

In the meantime, however, I just discovered this recipe in one of my older cookbooks, and just had to try it. I'd already posted another stuffed mushrooms recipe, with more Mediterranean flavors, and seeing this one, I really had to compare them. Also, mustard falls in the category of ingredients I love and I don't use nearly enough.

Comparing with the other stuffed mushrooms, which have an egg-bread crumb-small vegetables filling which had a fairly solid texture, this one has a lot more diversity and crunch. Obviously, the main ingredient is nuts, so that isn't entirely surprising, but even aside from those, I used whole grain Dijon mustard instead of smooth, which adds another degree of cruch to them.

In deviating from the original, I actually added the cashews in lieu of chicken, which was a happy, crunchy decision. I also doubled the amount of garlic and ginger for the sauce--it seemed a little bland with a mere one clove *scoff * and 1.5 tsp of ginger.

This dish also has the benefit of being a quick preparation. If you wanted, you could cook the shrooms at 375 for 20 minutes instead of 450 for 10 as the recipe suggested. I have tried it both ways now, and I tend to lean in favor of the slower cooking that gets the flavors more cohesive. But still, for those in a hurry, 450 for 10 is completely passable.

Final note: notice the lack of butter or oil. I'm all in favor of delicious, heavy-on-the-cheese sauces (lasagna and I have a history...and oh, wait until what I'm planning for next week!), butit's always nice to see something that's legitimately tasty without it.

Ingredients

6 oz cashews

1 small onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 tbsp cilantro, fresh

1 egg white

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

3 tsp ginger

2 tsp soy sauce

6 stuffing mushrooms

Directions

Heat oven to 450. Mix all ingredients except mushrooms, and fill caps with mixture.

Bake 7-10 minutes until tops are light brown.

Inspired by: Betty Crocker Healthy New Choices

No comments: