Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bean Salad with Dijon

The arrival of my monthly Food and Wine is a nice comfort right after all those bills are due on the first. This time around, it had even more intriguing recipes than usual. So, for lunch yesterday, I made their Dijon mustard vinaigrette for a white bean and pine nut salad. Yum!

A salad like this would be great with more vegetables thrown in; since it was for lunch, I was feeling pretty basic. But the vinaigrette was really nice. As usual, I like mine a lot more vinegary and less oily than the standard recipe seems to suggest. The F&W version was:

  • 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
I once again used scallions, and once again, reveled in their awesomeness. I would up the vinegar to 4 tbsp and the oil down to 1/4 cup. Not even for health reasons--I just think it tastes better.

Hopefully much more from this month's F&W to come!

No comments: