Monday, April 16, 2007

Pesto Risotto


I'm on something of a traditional kick of late, not that anything I do is particularly ground-breaking, but I'm feeling even more particularly traditional that usual. So, going back to the basics: pesto risotto.

In a more adventurous moment, I decided to add pine nuts to the rice and cook them risotto-style the whole way through, as opposed to the usual course of adding all the extras at the very end. I have to say, I approve. I did, however, add the mushrooms in with the last cup of broth, and the pesto at the very end.

I realize I haven't been updating as much lately, but last week especially was kind of the Week of Hectic, starring Me. Things have started improving, though my getting back into the groove of cooking every (other) night has more to do with fears for my waistline amid the pizza and take out Chinese of hectic weeks, rather than any actual change in circumstance. Also, the realization that I have so many random ingredients floating around my kitchen that if I don't do something about that soon, they might eat me as opposed to the other way around.

Recipe

1 cup long-grain rice
2 1/2 tbsp pesto
2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth, hot.
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a saucepan, and add rice and pine nuts. Simmer two minutes, until oil has coated rice and they have a pearly shimmer about them. Add the white wine, stirring.

Wait until wine is absorbed, then add 1/2 cup of the broth. Continue adding in half-cup increments after each previous is completely absorbed, stirring often. In the last 1/2 cup, add mushrooms. Once complete, the risotto should be creamy, not watery, but also not too dense.

Once all the broth is absorbed, add pesto; stir. Add parmesan, and stir again. Serve.

No comments: